Monday, November 17, 2014

Five Of My Favorite Travel Photos

I, by no means, claim to some great photographer. But I do have a few photos that I'm extremely proud of. Ones that I've taken that I've looked at later and thought “Wow, that’s a good photo,” or “That is exactly what it looked like at that moment!” To me, an element of any great photo is the memories contained within it. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and these pictures hold, for me, a thousand memories. So I thought I would share five of my favorite travel photos from around the world, and share a few of the memories that go along with them.

#1 Ashford Castle from the Ferry



This is without a doubt one of my favorite travel photos. I took this photo while on a ferry from an island heading back to Cong, in County Mayo, Ireland.  Sometimes I can see a great photo and when, from the railing of the ferry, I glimpsed Ashford Castle (once owed by the Guinness family!) in the distance and the Irish flag blowing in the wind, I knew this could be a great shot. It took me several tries to get a fully unfurled Irish flag in the shot, but the result was so worth it. 

# 2 Galveston at Dusk


Galveston will always hold a very special place in my heart. When I was there in 2013 I was visiting someone very special to me who is no longer a part of my life. But whenever I look at this photo I'm reminded of that time when everything was perfect, everything was sweet and everything was exciting. I can still feel the rush of wind from the shore and hear the waves weaving in and out. I can still feel the excitement of finding a hermit crab in the sand. 

There was something magical about that beach, with moments devoid of space and time and circumstance.  I loved the way the sandy-brown fades to the frothy white of the ocean waves to the grey of the water to the purple/pink/gold/blue layers of the sky. That moment that I managed to capture only lasted a few minutes, but the memories...those memories will last forever. 

# 3 Up Ahead, Giant's Causeway



This photo captures that moment before you round the bend and officially hit Giant's Causeway. These rocks are not the famous hexagonal stones you think of when you think of Giant's Causeway, but they are no less beautiful. You come across this spot as you're walking to the official Giant's Causeway. The view, for me, from this spot was spectacular.
My friends and I easily spent an hour just exploring these rocks before we moved on to the hexagonal ones. You can easily hop from rock to rock and explore this place further and further until you reach the sea. 

# 4 Under Big Ben


At some point, I intend to do a whole post (or maybe 5 posts!) on London, but I thought I would share this photo with you all now. This has to be one of  my favorite photos that I took while in London because it so accurately shows what I saw, and it gives a view of Big Ben that not very many people get to see. Plus, it was a beautiful day in London, so I'm really glad I got to capture such an amazing blue sky.
When I got to London, I was going to be happy if I got to see Big Ben from a distance. To actually stand under it, and experience it like THIS,  like a local, was way more than I could have asked for. 

#5 Sleahead


As you can probably tell, I loved this photo so much I made it the background of my blog! This picture was taken at Sleahead along the Dingle Peninsula. I'm always amazed at the almost "unrealness" of this photo in terms of all the colors. But this photo captures EXACTLY what I saw that day. This is a completely raw photo, I haven't altered or retouched anything!
If there is a more beautiful place than Sleahead, I haven't found it yet. This was without a doubt the most beautiful place I've ever been.  Snapping this photo was way worth getting left behind by my tour bus and having to run after it! 
Fun Fact: The Nicole Kidman/Tom Cruise movie Far and Away was partly filmed here. The movie looks like it was filmed in early spring or fall so the colors aren't quite as vibrant as these, but yes, it is indeed Sleahead!

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed and I hope this will inspire you to take more of your own travel photos! You can always Tweet me yours at @CalleySoFalley!!! Can't wait to see them!!!

Up Next: #TBT
ETA: Thursday






4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Number 3 is my lock screen on my computer, I love it so much!

      Delete
  2. Great photos, I love your shots of Ireland. When I was there, it rained the whole time, so my Causeway shot is not neatly as pretty :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I'm really thankful it was so nice when we were there. Everyone who we met said the days before had just been miserable!

      Delete